How to Care & Clean Emerald Stone
Publised on Oct 17, 2013
How to Care & Clean Emerald Stone?
Emerald has been known for ages to provide numerous benefits to its wearer. The Astrologers and Gemologists suggest continuous use of this gemstone to draw the best results out of it. People prefer to wear an Emerald studded in rings and pendants. While wearing it on a continuous basis, this gemstone starts getting dull due to the accumulation of salt from sweat, dirt and other particles.
How to clean an Emerald Stone?
As an Emerald is having a rating of 7.5 – 8 on the Moh’s scale of hardness out of 10, the cleaning of this gemstone includes a few simple steps. All required items for cleaning this gemstone are soft cloth, water, a mild soap and a soft toothbrush. The stone can be cleaned by following the procedure described below:
1. Take the soft jewelry cleaning cloth and clean dirt and dust off the surface of Emerald.
2. Now take some room temperature running water and mix mild soap in it, preferably hand wash, to form a mixture.
3. Rub the gemstone with a soft toothbrush using the water-soap mixture.
4. Brush repeatedly for a while to ensure the removal of accumulation of grease and dirt.
5. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry it with a soft cloth.
Dos and Don’ts
Using a mild soap and soft toothbrush is recommended to maintain the shine of an Emerald. Unnecessary and frequent cleaning of the stone wears off its lustre. To maintain its lustre and shine of an Emerald, it should never be cleaned using jewelry cleaning liquids and strong soaps or detergent. Such cleaners wear off the oil coating, which is rendered to provide the lustre to an Emerald. Exposure to high heat, steam cleaners, Acetone and ultrasonic cleaners may cause damage to this stone. One may get his/her Emerald re-oiled after a few years of wearing this stone to regain its clarity and shine.