Blue Opal is a rare variety of the Opal gemstone which is exclusively found in the Andes Mountains near San Patricio in Peru. This soothing light blue colored gemstone is translucent to opaque in appearance. It is regarded as a strong healing gemstone that helps to cure tensed mind, low confidence and emotional scars.
Who Should Wear Blue Opal Stone?
Blue Opal gemstone is a light blue to blue green color variety of opal gemstone that doesn’t have a play-of-color yet considered very desirable because of its beautiful body color. In gem healing therapies, this gemstone is said to have numerous metaphysical properties and healing powers.
Western astrology finds Blue Opal birthstone lucky for the people born in the month of October.
The natural Blue Opal stone appears very fragile but is actually quite durable. It ranks between 5.5 to 6.5 on the Mohs hardness scale and is therefore regarded as a good gemstone for jewellery. It makes beautiful rings and pendants for special occasions.
According to a popular ancient belief, the blue opal gemstone is considered a gift from Pachamama – the goddess of fertility who is highly revered by the indigenous people of the Andes. Even today, people wear this gemstone to gain peace, good fortune and improve reproductive health.
Like other members of the Opal family, Blue Opal also possesses a deep metaphysical meaning. It is known for bringing improvement in the confidence level, communication skills and creative abilities of the wearer. Blue Opal gemstone is said to have healing properties that provide relief from stress, anxiety, fear and other psychological issues.
Will Blue Opal Suit me? Should I wear a Blue Opal gemstone?
Find out whether the Blue Opal Stone is right for you, using our Free Gemstone Recommendation Tool or Take an In-depth Phone Consultation with our Astrologers to find the right gemstone for you.
Promotes Financial Growth
– A healing crystal prominent for good fortune, Blue Opal gemstone is regarded as an excellent gemstone that conducts energy to attract monetary benefits. This gemstone is also known for protecting the wearer from making a wrong decision that may result in financial loss.
Brings Harmony in Relationships
– Blue Opal is regarded as an incredible crystal that brings positive effects on one’s love life. It is believed that wearing a Blue Opal benefits the couple to gain emotional fulfilment in times of distress.
Improves Artistic & Communication Skills
– For people who feel difficulty in communicating their thoughts due to any medical condition or issues such as lack of confidence, anxiety or shyness often recommended to wear a Blue Opal stone. It is believed that the soothing energies of this gemstone balance the throat chakra which is associated with the person’s self-expression and creativity. Thereby, it helps the person to communicate well and express themselves freely through writing or by speech.
Boosts Immunity and Metabolism
– From boosting the metabolism to immunity, Blue opal is regarded as an all-rounder stone for stabilising one’s health. Wearing a Blue opal is considered quite beneficial for people suffering from vision issues, fatigue, hair loss or lymph nodes related ailments.
Relieves Mental Stress & Depression
– Since ancient times, Blue Opal crystal is used for protection and emotional healing. This gemstone helps to release the negative thoughts that cause anxiety, fear, anger and depressions. Its calming properties helps the wearer the gain positive outlook towards life and stay happy.
The color, clarity and shape are the three most important factors that help to determine the quality of a Blue Opal gemstone. A natural Blue Opal with consistent blue hue, good clarity and shape is always considered ideal for purchase.
– The color of blue opal ranges from intense neon blue to deep minty blue and other shades in between. Most jewellers describe opal blue color as the color of Caribbean Sea and often called it Caribbean Blue Opal. Generally, the bright blue opal stones are considered more valuable than the light blue or blue green opals.
– Blue Opal gemstones are usually translucent to opaque in appearance, accompanied by a vitreous shine. The clarity of Blue Opal depends upon the number of internal flaws (inclusions) and the smoothness of the upper surface. Therefore, Blue Opals with minimum inclusions and smooth surface are considered quite desirable. Lower quality stones tend to have dark color patches and spots. However, some Blue Opals are accompanied by black-brown or brownish moss that makes such pieces one of a kind.
– A masterfully cut Blue opal stone in any shape or style appears richly colored and lustrous. Raw Blue Opal is often cut and polished in fancy shapes such as round, oval, pear etc. Blue Opal cabochons (non-faceted, polished gems) are more common in the market as they get easily customised in different jewellery settings and brings the best value for money.
Buy Blue Opal Stone Online from GemPundit!
We provide top-quality Blue Opal stones for sale at the most reasonable prices.
In the trade, Blue Opal prices are evaluated in terms of color, clarity, cut and carat weight. However, there can be some additional conditions that must be taken into account to properly judge their value such as supply, demand, rarity etc.
Note – Currently, the price of Blue Opal stone in India starts from Rs……… per carat ($............ per carat) and goes upto Rs…………. per carat ($............ per carat) depending upon the quality grade. Prices in other countries like USA, UK, UAE etc. may vary depending upon the supply and demand.
Buyer Beware: Gemstone Weights in India are often expressed in Ratti (Blue Opal price per ratti). This system can be used to dupe customers who are not knowledgeable on how the conversion works. Read our guide to Understanding Gemstone Weights: Carats vs Ratti, and Don’t Get Fooled by Gemstone Prices in Ratti, instead of Carats!
The deep Blue Opal or clean sky Blue Opal are amongst the highly sought-after color tone that commands a higher premium than other shades. Light Blue Opal stones or excessively dark Blue Opal with brown patches are relatively cheaper. According to the trade rule, cleaner and deeper is the blue, higher is the Blue Opal stone prices
– Since Blue Opal is a delicate gemstone, the presence of fractures and pits effects the beauty, durability and value of the Blue Opal gemstone. Clean pieces with good transparency and lustre are considered more desirable for both healing and jewellery purposes, drawing better prices than the spotted ones.
– Being semi-translucent to opaque in appearance, rough Blue Opal mostly cut and polished to form beautiful cabochons (non-faceted polished gems) in different shapes. The prices of best quality Blue Opal gemstone with symmetrical shapes and good polish may reach upto Rs…………... per carat ($.......).
– According to the gem retailers, Blue Opal size doesn’t create a very significant effect on its value. Blue Opal price per carat increases linearly with the increase in the number of carats if the quality remains consistent.
Shop for certified, loose Blue Opal online from GemPundit.
We provide high quality, real and genuine Blue opals for sale in India, Dubai, UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Singapore, UAE and nearly 100+ countries.
Blue Opal is a pale blue to dark blue colored, semi-precious gem variety of Opal that is usually translucent to opaque in appearance and lacks the play of color effect. It is majorly used for healing and jewellery purposes.
At GemPundit, we provide fine quality, certified Blue Opal loose stones for sale at highly affordable prices. One can read our comprehensive Blue Opal Buying Guide to get a better understanding of the Blue Opal quality, price and benefits.
According to the gemologist, Blue Opals majorly comes from the Peruvian Opal mines located in the Andes Mountain range. Peruvian Blue Opal (also known as Peru Blue Opal or Andean Blue Opal) is one of the most popular origin variety that possesses a gentle, soothing feel without any flashy sparkles. If you are willing to buy Peruvian Blue Opal online, contact us!
A portion of Blue opal gemstone also comes from other mining locations such as Oregon, Australia, Africa, Owyhee (Nevada, US) etc. So, Australian Blue Opal, Owyhee Blue Opal, Mexican Blue Opal, Oregon Blue Opal and Blue Ethiopian Opal are the other less popular origin varieties of the Blue Opal gemstone.