Boulder Opal is a rare and unique variety of the precious Opal gemstone that contains ironstone traces. This dark colored gemstone usually exhibits a mesmerising play of color and excellent durability. It is highly sought-after by the gem collectors and jewelry designers because of its natural beauty.
Who Should Wear Boulder Opal Stone?
The term Boulder Opal meaning (color changing rock) itself describes the beauty of this majestic gemstone. It displays a wide array of color and is known to have numerous metaphysical and healing abilities.
In western countries, a Boulder Opal birthstone is considered lucky for October born.
People from ancient culture believed in the Boulder Opal metaphysical benefits. They used to wear this gemstone to gain better creative skills, emotional stability and strong will power.
Boulder Opal Charm pendant
Image credit - Google
In color healing therapies, the boulder opal gemstone is highly admired for its curative abilities. It is trusted that Boulder opal healing properties help the wearer in getting relief from chronic pain, infections, allergies and intestinal disorders.
A precisely cut, natural Boulder Opal with darker body color, bright and highly dramatic play of color, is identified as the finest quality. So, whether you are purchasing boulder opals for healing or for jewelry purposes, it is important to assess the stone on several parameters such as Origin, Color, Play of Color, Clarity and Shape or Cut to ensure that you buy the best quality Boulder Opal and get the best value for money.
– Australia (regions including Quilpie field, Winton field, Yowah and Koroit) is the major supplier of finest quality and highly stable Boulder Opal stones. Some premium quality boulder opal specimen comes from Africa and USA also, but they are preferred for collection rather than jewelry making. This is because opals from these countries are free from cracks but are fragile and need extra care to maintain the quality. Mexican Boulder opal is characterised by its deep orangey-red body color.
Yowah Opal – Australia
Image credit - Google
– Boulder opals are often described as black boulder opal due to its dark body color. However, it can be found in grey, brown and brownish red colour as well. Stones with darker body hue (like in blue boulder opal or purple boulder opal) are highly sought-after because they display the play of color more beautifully.
Play of Color
– Generally, the factors like intensity, overall distribution and combination of color in the flashes affect the beauty and quality of the boulder opal gemstones. Stones with blue and green flashes are more common whereas red is relatively rare. A superior quality Boulder opal stone displays every color of rainbow distributed, widely over the surface.
Australian Koroit Boulder Opal Pendant
Image credit - Google
– Also known as ‘boulder matrix opal gem’ or ‘matrix opal’, a boulder opal gemstone is mostly opaque due to the presence of ironstone matrix. The portions containing opal strips may appear transparent (rarely) to translucent (more common). Usually, the stones in which the dark iron traces coincides the opal surface appears less attractive and hence considered less desirable.
Shape & Cut
– Lapidaries (gem-cutters) prefer to cut boulder opal rough into free-form shapes rather than grooming it as perfect round or oval polished boulder opal. A skilfully cut boulder opal with good symmetry and finish is considered superior over the stone in disproportionate shape.
Australian Boulder Opal Cabochon (Round)
Boulder Opal in Free-form shape
Are you looking for fine qality loose boulder opal for sale?
Buy Boulder opal loose stones online - Share your requirements with us!
The growing popularity of Boulder Opal stone in the jewelry segment and its relatively lower supply have created a significant rise in Boulder opal value in the past few years.
Apart from its rarity and demand, the other important factors influencing Boulder Opal price are Origin, Color, Clarity, Shape and Carat weight. In India, Boulder Opal price per carat starts from Rs 400 per carat ($6 approx.) and goes up to Rs 2,500 per carat ($40 approx.) depending upon the intensity and uniqueness in pattern of the color flashes.
Buyer Beware: Gemstone Weights in India are often expressed in Ratti. This system can be used to dupe customers who are not knowledgeable on how the conversion works. Read our guide to Understanding Gemstone Weights: Carats vs Ratti, and Don’t Get Fooled by Gemstone Prices in Ratti, instead of Carats!
– Australian Boulder Opal prices are usually higher than other origins because of its exceptional color and high stability (less prone to cracks). Koroit boulder opal, Yowah boulder opal and Queensland boulder opal are some popular varieties resourced from the boulder opal mine Australia. At GemPundit, we can provide fine quality Australian boulder opal for sale online at the best prices. Click here , to share your requirement.
Boulder Opal Mines in Australia
Image credit - Google
– Boulder Opals with dark body color (like blue, purple, grey or black boulder opal) are quite valuable because they display the play of color more prominently and make excellent jewelry pieces. On the other hand, the natural boulder opal stones in lighter shades appear dull, therefore, can be purchased at a discounted price.
– Most of the Boulder opals are opaque, therefore, its value largely depends on the surface texture and polish of the stone. A smooth and crack free Boulder opal stone price always remains higher than the opal containing pits, spots and deep cracks. Boulder opals with no visible spotting of ironstone on precious opal strips also hold a good market value.
Shape & Cut
– Due to the limited supply of high quality Boulder opal, the gem cutter pays maximum attention towards maintaining the beauty and retaining maximum weight while cutting a boulder opal raw stone. Typically, a highly symmetrical boulder opal cabochon (polished, non-faceted stone) is more expensive than a stone in free-form shape because a symmetrical cut often causes more wastage of rough.
– Boulder opals come in all possible sizes. But unlike other gemstones, Boulder opal price per carat doesn’t shoot up exponentially with increase in size. This is because large Boulder opal remains less in demand as it is difficult to customize them in jewelry pieces.
Boulder Opal is a rare and unique variety of solid opal that features precious opal veins running through the red or brown colored surface of the ironstone matrix. Due to its captivating play of color and high durability, this dark colored gemstone have become every designer and collector’s delight. As per the gemmologist, Boulder opal hardness is much higher than other opal varieties and it is because of the natural layering of ironstone. This colourful gemstone is also known to have some warm healing energies. Boulder opal is majorly resourced from the opal mines of Australia, USA, British Colombia, Africa and Mexico. However, Australian boulder opal is considered finest because to its dark hue and high stability (good resistance against cracks). This gemstone is found in every possible shape and size. For instance, carved boulder opals are often used as specimens for collection purposes whereas the fine quality boulder opal sphere are used for making bead necklace. One can also find Boulder opals in round or oval shape that look perfect when customised in rings or pendants. Are you after a Boulder opal ring or pendant? Contact us . Our amazingly helpful gem experts will surely help you in finding the best gemstone.
Boulder Opal stone price in India ranges between Rs 400 per carat ($6 approx.) to Rs 2,500 per carat ($40 approx.). The value of Boulder gemstone largely depends upon the quality, rarity supply and demand. The beauty of the gem (in terms of color, clarity, shape and size) holds a major influence on the Boulder Opal prices. However, the place of origin also makes a difference in the cost. For example, Australian boulder opals hold a good market reputation because of its supreme quality. It comes from the mines of Queensland (Yowah, Quilpie and Winton) New South Wales and Koroit region. Due to its better market value and demand, Australian boulder opal price remains higher than Boulder opal from UK, USA, Canada or Brazil. For an in-depth knowledge, read our notes on Boulder Opal prices. Call us, chat with us or Request a Call Back to buy Australian Boulder Opal from GemPundit.
It is always advisable to purchase gems only from the trusted dealers and sellers of the industry. Since Boulder opal is not a common variety, buying boulder opal from online gem stores is a good idea. Always remember to deal with a trustworthy gem retailer and never forget to ask for a genuine lab certificate to assure the quality and authenticity of your purchase. GemPundit is one of the leading suppliers of unheated, untreated, natural loose gemstones and gemstone jewelry online. We have a team of expert gemmologist and knowledgeable astrologers who will help you in finding a suitable astrological as well as jewelry gemstone. At GemPundit, we keep customer satisfaction at top priority and provide FREE Gem Certificate with every gemstone. If you are searching for a good quality boulder opal loose stones, share the details with us . Our sales consultants with helps you in finding the right gemstone within your budget.