Fire Opal is a vibrant, colourful, precious gem variety from the Opal family with fiery body hues ranging from yellow, orange to red, brown and green. Fire opal comes with or without the magnificent play of color. In western culture, this gemstone is worn as October birthstone and is also recommended for healing purposes.
Who should wear Amethyst?
With its fascinating colors and patterns, Fire Opal has successfully won the heart of every gem lover. This gemstone is loved by the men and women across the world. Besides its unparalleled beauty, fire opal healing properties give another important reason to wear this stunning gemstone.
October Birthstone – Fire Opal is considered highly auspicious for the couples entering 14th year of marriage. It is said that wearing fire opal bestows marital bliss and brings happiness in the relationship.
Indians connect fire opal natural stone with the planet Venus which symbolises abundance, beauty, passion and creative. Wearing fire opal is considered extremely beneficial for people involved in the artistic professions.
In western world, a fire opal birthstone is worn as lucky charm in form of rings, pendants and bracelets. Fire Opal hardness ranges around 5.5 to 6 on the Mohs Scale indicating the fragile nature of this gemstone. It can be best worn in jewelry settings with a protective design.
Ancient Arab tribes believed that the precious fire opal was sent from heaven to earth. This could be the reason why people from Gulf countries like UAE, Dubai etc. show great interest in this gemstone. Not just Arabs, even the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians have sung the laurels of the mysterious fire opal stone. It has been known as the ‘Stone of Foresight’. Therefore, this gemstone can be worn to improve the power of intuitions and insights.
Opals have also been a part of Britain’s royal jewelry collection and was highly sought-after by the Queen Victoria. During the medieval ages, the fair-haired women from Scandinavia and Germany use to wear fire opal stone to protect their hair from losing color.
People from different cultures have trusted the fire opal metaphysical and healing properties for making their life better. Even in modern times, astrologers believe in the fire opal stone benefits and recommend this gemstone to people dealing with financial stress, low confidence or any matrimonial issue.
Brings Wealth & Good Fortune
– It is said that wearing a fire opal gemstone benefits the individual in gaining materialistic comforts and luxuries in life. It inspires the wearer to take actions when it comes to new opportunities and money generating ventures.
Boosts Self-confidence & Stamina
– The vibrant hues of this gemstone signify positivity and vigour. Wearing fire opal gemstone is considered highly beneficial for the people facing lack of confidence and low energy level. Its harmonious vibrations help to dispel negativity and improve the wearer’s inner strength.
Cures Physical & Psychological Issues
– In alternative healing therapies, Fire Opal is regarded as an important healing gemstone. It is considered highly effective for people suffering from physical ailment or any emotional trauma. Better psychic abilities, improved immune system and good reproductive health are some other well-known health benefits of fire opal gemstone.
– Fire Opal gemstone bears the positive influences of the planet Venus. This gemstone is considered highly effective for people involved in a stressed relationship. Wearing a fire opal benefits such individual by developing love and mutual understanding for the partner.
Benefits of Fire Opal
-Promotes Financial Growth
Brings Energy & Confidence
Heals Physical & Phycological Disorders
Origin, Color (Body Color and Play of Color), Clarity and Cut are some crucial factors that determine the quality of a Fire Opal gemstone. Generally, a vivid color, natural fire opal bearing good transparency and eye-pleasing shape is considered best for purchase. Explore our catalogue to buy natural fire opal of such superior quality at the most reasonable price rates.
– Fire Opal mines are present in Mexico, Ethiopia, USA, Oregon, Africa, Australia, Canada, British Colombia, Guatemala. Gem quality raw fire opal also comes from the mines of North-eastern Brazil. Out of all origins, the natural Mexico fire opal stone is regarded as the most sought-after variety. Ethiopian fire opal, Oregon fire opal, Brazilian fire opal and Australian fire opal stones are the other popular choices. Click here to browse our inventory of Mexican fire Opal loose stones.
– Fire Opal color ranges from yellow, red, orange, brown etc. Generally, the brighter and more intense is the fire opal colour, more valuable is the fire opal gemstone. Orange fire opal, brown fire opal and yellow fire opal are some easily available color varieties. But the Cherry Red fire opal, Green fire opal and Sunset fire opal stone are comparatively rare and therefore considered most valuable. (Sunset fire opal for sale – Click here to buy online)
Play of Color
– Most of the fire opal gemstones do not exhibit much play of color unlike other varieties of Opals. Certain fire opals completely lack the play of color and are termed as ‘Jelly Opals’. Fire Opal gems with intense orange or red body hue accompanied with a mesmerising rainbow-like play of color (rainbow fire opal) are rare and more expensive.
– Eye-clean loose fire opal stones are little difficult to find and are quite valuable. The clarity of a fire opal is often disturbed by the presence of clouds, waxy luster, color zoning and mineral or fluid inclusions. The presence of surface cracks, blemishes or pits also affect the durability and beauty of the gem. Thus, it is always advised to purchase a clean, blemish-free stone to get value for money.
– Gem-cutters handle an uncut fire opal rock carefully to maintain its attractiveness. Transparent, bright colored fire opals are mostly faceted. But the stones containing play of color are preferably cut in cabochon (non-faceted, polished fire opal gem with one-sided dome) to maximise the glitter effect. As fire opal is relatively soft, it is suggested to avoid gems with sharp facets.
We prove the best quality Fire Opal stone for sale at the most reasonable prices.
Fire Opal Stone Price
A fire opal has been a perfect gem for those who admire beauty. This fiery, warm, glowy gemstone has captivated the jewel enthusiast, world-over. The price evaluation of a fire opal gemstone is carried by assessing its Origin, Color, Clarity, Cut and Carat weight. But Fire Opal international popularity has also increased its market value. Generally, the fire opal price per carat escalates when its demand outstrips supply. The most precious fire opals are reddish, transparent gem with a good play of color. In India, Fire opal stone price for quality gems ranges around Rs……. per carat ($...... approx.). Translucent fire opal that are brownish or yellowish in color can be purchased at Rs…… per carat ($...... approx.) and more. It’s prices in other countries like UAE, UK, USA may vary due to the difference in supply/demand cycle.
– Due to its brilliant hue and superior clarity, Mexican fire opal value remains the highest in the market. The best quality Australian fire opal value stretches around Rs 3250 per carat ($50 approx.) to Rs 7lakh per carat ($10,000 approx.) depending upon the intensity of play of color and level of transparency. The same quality criteria control the Ethiopian fire opal prices which is usually less than the Mexican fire opal price. >Click here, to check GemPundit’s fire opals available for sale.
– The degree of brightness (glow) in the color is of paramount importance in determining the fire opal price. A gem that bears warm and vivid hue (red, orange, brown, yellow) but is average in all other aspects will still command a high price. On the other hand, a dull colored yellow or orange stone, even with a good color flash pattern, may bring an average value. In terms of shade, red fire opals (especially the cherry fire opal) or a sunset fire opal price is usually higher than of yellow and orange stone because pure red gems are not easily available.
Play of Color
– Not all fire opal stones display the colourful flashes. Therefore, the cost of fire opal is always higher for the gems with the play of color. The intensity and overall distribution of the color flashes further create a difference in the fire opal worth. Generally, a bright colored fire opal with brilliant play of color is more valuable than a fire opal with dull body color and faint play of color.
– Fire opals with fewer internal flaws usually appear cleaner, therefore, are more valuable than heavily included stones. The translucent fire opal with prominently visible flaws is often available at discounted prices. It is always advisable to stay away from gems that have cracks running beyond the surface as they are highly prone to damage.
– A masterfully cut, highly symmetrical fire opals are always expensive than stones in uneven shapes. Gem-cutters are always concerned about the beauty and weight retention while cutting the fire opal gemstone. Round and oval fire opal cabochons cause less wastage of the rough stone therefore they are more affordable than the faceted fire opal. Lower quality specimens are often shaped as fire opal sphere or fire opal egg.
– Generally, the larger a fire opal, the costlier it is. This is so because the fine quality large fire opals are quite rare in nature. But currently, the fire opal gems in large size are not much in demand therefore the rise in per carat price is not as significant as in other gemstones.
‘Fire Opal’ is a precious Opal variety recognised by its vibrant yellow, red, brown body color. It may or may not contain the play of color. The vibrant body hues of the fire opal differentiate this gemstone from the other transparent to opaque opals (usually transparency or milky white in color) called ‘Plain Opal’. Fire opal comes with or without play of color. But the plain opals do not contain any rainbow-like play of color.
Apart from the physical appearance, the metaphysical attributes of these two varieties of opal also vary. Plain Opal is an astrological gemstone which is often worn as the substitute of diamond to gain positive influences of the planet ‘Venus’. On the other hand, a fire opal gemstone is primarily worn for healing purposes.
Mexico has been counted amongst the major sources of fine quality fire opal gems. Mexican Fire Opal rough is characterised by its bright orange to orangish red body hue and transparent to translucent appearance. The transparent fire opal mineral from Mexico is more often faceted and mounted in the jewelry. Mexican red fire opal is also known as ‘Tangerine Opals’ because of their rare and brilliant red body color. Small amount of fine grade rough fire opal is also produced in Honduras (Honduran Opal), Australia, Brazil, Africa (African Fire Opal), America (American Fire Opal or Nevada Fire Opal) Ethiopia (Welo Fire Opal), Oregon and Guatemala.
Where to buy Fire Opal?
GemPundit has a good collection Mexican fire opal for sale online. Click here to buy Mexican fire opal in different shapes and sizes at the most budget-friendly prices. We also provide a FREE gem certificate to ensure a delightful shopping experience.
Dragon Fire Opal is a synthetic fire opal made up of glass mixed with different metals to create a bi-color effect. It is often addressed as ‘Mexican fire opal dragon breath’ due to its dark fiery body color. Pink fire opal, purple fire opal etc. are the other lab created fire opal varieties which are often used for making cheap imitation jewelry. These fancy colored are not real and merely the glass pieces. Such stimulated fire opals are known to have no healing properties therefore can be wholesaled at much lower prices.