How to care & clean Blue Sapphire Stone
Publised on Dec 03, 2013
The striking and ever beautiful blue color of Neelam stone or Blue Sapphire stone is admired by every gem lover. Standing next to Diamonds in terms of value, hardness, and durability, it is an ideal choice for daily wear jewelry like rings and bracelets. It belongs to the mineral family of Corundum. All the shades of Corundum, except red which is Ruby, are Sapphires. Apart from its sheer beauty, this stone also possess exceptional metaphysical properties. Astrologically too, it is highly beneficial for the possessor as it is believed to bring along good luck and immense self confidence. Having the hardness of 9 on Moh’s scale, its usage is quite common for making exquisite masterpieces of ornaments.
How to clean Blue Sapphire or Neelam Stone?
But to maintain its stunning shine and resplendence, you must take proper care of your Blue Sapphire stone. There are some basic tips that you can follow to keep it gleaming:
- Being a hard stone, it’s generally not a daunting task to clean Sapphire. But with daily wearing, dirt tends to settle around it. Instead of using any special cleaning agent meant specifically for ornaments, you can rather use mild detergents in soapy warm water to clean it.
- However, always ensure that you are using mild soaps only which do not have abrasives because they can cause harm to the inherent shine of your Neelam stone.
- You can leave your Blue Sapphire in this soapy solution for few minutes, then rinse it with warm water and dry with a supple cotton cloth.
- If dust or cloudiness persists, repeat this process once again using a tinge of Ammonia or Vodka.
- Before cleaning, always remember to care about the metal in which your Neelam stone is set. While gold and platinum are not negatively affected by soapy water, repeated usage of Ammonia may cause some damage to gold.
- Silver jewelry requires special attention and it should be cleaned carefully. Avoid soaking it in soapy dish rather clean it with the professional polishing cloth only. However, Silver can resist some abrasives and it can be cleaned with baking soda and hot water.
- While cleaning silver jewelry with baking soda, do place a piece of aluminium foil at the base of dish and the place your jewelry, having Neelam stone, on it.
- For any high quality Blue Sapphire, it is advisable to seek professional cleaning done by a jeweler. They possess the expertise and techniques required for cleaning and polishing precious gemstones. Hence, take your Blue Sapphire at least once every year to your jeweler for cleaning and maintenance.
- Apart from cautious cleaning, careful storage is also very important for Blue Sapphire stone. It should be kept separately from other stones to avoid any scratches caused by close contact between different jewelry items.
Please visit: http://www.gempundit.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire
Please visit: https://www.gempundit.com/gemstones/emerald