Properties of Tourmaline Stone
Publised on Jan 08, 2014
|Other Names||: Schrol, Verdelite, Turmali|
|Hardness on Moh's Scale||:7.0- 7.|
|Specific Gravity||: 3.06|
|Refractive Index||: 1.53- 1.55|
|Metal to Wear in||:Gold, Panchdhatu|
|Colors||: Black, Pink, Green, Violet, Brown|
|Zodiac sign||: Gemini, Virgo (depending upon the color of Tourmaline)|
|Chakra||: Root chakra|
|Origin||: India, Sri Lanka, USA, Myanmar, Madagascar, Brazil, Africa|
What is Tourmaline??
Since the ancient ages, Tourmaline has been luring the mankind due to its magical powers that negate the evils and promotes positivity. This stone with remarkable detoxification effects was widely imported during 17th century by the Dutch from Sri Lanka where it was usually mined. Even its name is derived from Singhalese word Turmali which denotes a stone with vibrant mix of colors. Tourmaline often refers to a group of Cyclosilicate minerals having traces of iron and magnesium with other metals. The colors in Tourmaline are formed with the presence of these metals in it. It is a semi precious gemstone having immense pyroelectric properties. It also possesses outstanding healing powers for the wearer.
Tourmaline Stone Properties :
- The color of Tourmaline is its major property. It is usually heat treated or irradiated for better clarity and improvement of color in some of its varieties..
- Tourmaline is mined from granite and metamorphic rocks along with granite pegmatites.
- Under different lights, it emits different hues. While red or pink tourmaline radiates best under luminescent lights, green and blue tourmaline looks so under daylight.
- It is often found in the form of large crystals that enhance its color richness. It has trigonal crystal system and is available in columnar crystals.
- Commonly, tourmaline has inclusions in form of fractures including healed fractures and also needle inclusions.
- Tourmaline has strong pleochroism. It means that at every different angle, color and its depth changes in this stone. In this respect, the dark colored tourmalines are commonly cut to show off its lighter hues. Such tourmalines are mostly rectangular in shape.
- The most characteristic property of tourmaline is its ability to generate electrical energy on rubbing or heating. Perhaps, this is the reason why it was used as ash puller by the Dutch to extract ash from their meerschaum tobacco pipes.
- Also it can emanate far infrared rays, which is a distinguishing feature of this brilliant gemstone. These invisible rays are capable to penetrate deep into the body to detoxify it. It can influence the tissues and muscles as such and also determine the state of mind of wearer.
- Due to high density of iron and manganese, some varieties like opaque black and yellow Tourmalines are highly magnetic in nature.
- Tourmaline, in general, works to stimulate all the chakras in body. Particularly, black Tourmaline opens root chakra while pink Tourmaline opens the heart chakra.
Please visit Here:http://www.gempundit.com/gemstones/tourmaline