Star sapphire is a rare and unique variety of the natural Sapphire gemstone that displays a star-like effect (asterism) on the surface when viewed under a direct light source. It exists in a range of color including blue, black, pink, orange, yellow, green, lavender, gray and white. Due to their remarkable hardness, bright color and silky luster, the natural star sapphires are considered as highly valuable gemstones. They are mostly worn for healing and jewelry purposes.
Who Should Wear a Star Sapphire Gem?
A natural star sapphire is a remarkably unique member of the Corundum mineral family that exhibits a unique phenomenon called asterism or the star effect. This gemstone is found in a plethora of colors, each having its own beauty and metaphysical significance. It is believed that wearing a Star sapphire stone benefits the individual immensely when worn in the form of rings, pendants or bracelets.
Star Sapphire birthstone is recommended to the people born in the month of September. It is also regarded as the 45th Anniversary gemstone and makes a perfect gift for the couple.
In alternate healing therapies, Star sapphire is regarded as a strong healing gemstone. It is believed that Star sapphire metaphysical properties help the wearer to gain financial prosperity, clarity in thoughts, good physical health, mental peace and a sense of satisfaction.
Star sapphire (in any color) is a perfect jewelry gemstone because of its uniqueness, high durability and stunningly gorgeous star effect. Many famous jewelry designers have studded fine quality star sapphires in their award winning jewelry and watch designs. One can wear a star sapphire gemstone as the centre stone of their engagement rings, wedding band or pendant.
A natural star sapphire stones come in a variety of colors and attractive star effect. This captivating gemstone is categorized depending upon its body color and the pattern of star effect.
1. Based on Body Color
The captivating star sapphire gemstone comes in a whole rainbow range of color. Star sapphire crystal usually lends the color from the element traces (chromium, vanadium, copper, magnesium, titanium and iron etc.) present in it.
Blue Star Sapphire
– Blue star sapphire meaning ‘Sitara Neelam’ is a blue colored sapphire that exhibits a mesmerising star effect due to the presence of minute rutile inclusions (silk). The majority of blue star sapphire are found in Sri Lanka but the fine quality, large blue star sapphire also comes from the mines of Burma (Myanmar). A natural blue star sapphire gemstone is regarded as one of the most sought-after and highly valuable color varieties of the star sapphire gemstone.
At GemPundit, we provide fine quality, genuine Blue Star sapphire for sale at affordable prices.
Please contact our Gem Experts to buy Black star sapphire online.
Black Star Sapphires
– Black star sapphire stone is a black colored, natural star sapphire. This fascinating gemstone produces the star effect due to the presence of hematite inclusions rather than rutile silk inclusions. These haematite inclusions led to the formation of a golden color star pattern. Because of this golden star, a natural black star sapphire gemstone is sometimes addressed as golden black star sapphire. Black star sapphire value largely depends upon the color intensity and sharpness of the star.
At GemPundit, we provide loose Black star sapphire for sale in the best shape.
Contact our Experts, to buy black star sapphire of your choice.
Pink Star Sapphire
– A natural pink star sapphire stone is beautiful gem variety that obtains its rosy pink color from the chromium traces. These gems have tiny inclusions called silky that offers a velvety feel and glossy texture. Due to its high popularity in the jewelry segment, Pink star sapphire value remains high in the market.
Purple Star Sapphire
– The presence of vanadium during the crystal formation lends a Violet (purple) color to the star sapphire. A natural purple star sapphire stone ranges in hue from light purple and lavender (Lavender star sapphire) to deeper shades of purple and violet. It is rare but is less popular than the traditional blue star sapphires.
Other Popular Star Sapphire Colors
– Other than the common blue, black and pinks, star sapphires occur in many fancy color tones. It includes orange-brown star sapphire, natural yellow star sapphire, white star sapphire stone, gray/grey star sapphire, blackish green star sapphire gemstone and Padparadscha star sapphire (pinkish orange). In addition, some dual color star sapphire and color-change star sapphire are also available in nature which are exceedingly rare and super precious.
2. Based on Star effect
Most of the star sapphires have six rays. However, some four and twelve rayed pieces have also been known. So, depending upon the no. of rays and star patterns, the star sapphires are of following types –
4 ray star sapphire
– As the name depicts, a 4-ray star sapphire displays a star that has 4 arms emerging towards the centre when viewed under direct beam of light.
6 ray star sapphire
– A six ray star sapphire displays six luminous rays align towards the centre when viewed under a direct light source. It appears like the six-armed organism called star-fish (Asterias). Therefore, the star-effect is also known as ‘Asterism’.
12 ray star sapphire
– A twelve ray star sapphire is a rare, unusual and highly sought-after star sapphire gem that attracts the attention of gem enthusiasts, world over. Such crystals contain two types of inclusions including rutile needles and haematite needle inclusions. These inclusions form two star which superimpose upon each other and form a twelve-rayed star.
Double star sapphire
– A double star sapphire is another variant of natural star sapphire stone in which the two stars formed by the haematite and rutile inclusions are not perfectly superimposed on each other with one common centre like in 12 rayed star sapphire. In contrast, the two stars in double star sapphire have different centres and thus forms two distinct stars on the same crystal.
Star Sapphire Benefits
Star sapphire is said to have some strong metaphysical and healing properties. It is believed that this gemstone helps the wearer to gain material, emotional, intellectual and spiritual blessings. The astrological properties of star sapphire also promote financial and professional growth of the individual.
Will Star Sapphire Suit me? Should I wear a Star Sapphire gemstone?
Find out whether the Star Sapphire Stone is right for you, using our Free Gemstone Recommendation Tool or Take an In-depth Phone Consultation with our Astrologers to find the right gemstone for you.
Promotes Professional Growth
– People lend enormous faith in star sapphire gemstone for the ability to resolve professional issues. It is believed that wearing blue star sapphire benefits the individual by enhancing the results of the efforts towards gaining fame, money and professional success.
Improves Creativity & Intelligence
– Black star sapphire metaphysical properties are trusted to enhance the wearer’s analytical skills. Its positive energies stimulate the intuition powers, thereby, helps the wearer to gain a better understanding and attentiveness. This gemstone is considered highly effective for the professionals involved in administration, academics or in any creative endeavour.
Heals Blood & Eye-related Disorders
– Star sapphire gemstones are recognised for their strong curative abilities. It is believed that wearing a Blue star sapphire benefits to get speedy recovery from blood or eye-sight related disorders.
Relieves Depression, Anxiety & Stress
– In alternative healing therapies, Black star sapphire gemstone is recognised for its strong curative abilities. Gem therapists often recommend this gemstone to people who want to calm their thoughts, eliminate the mental tension and gain sharp focus.
Read Star Sapphire gemstone benefits in Hindi
A natural Star Sapphire stone is distinguished by its unique star effect. They are rare in nature and even rarer in fine quality. Therefore, having a basic knowledge of the important factors is essential to judge the quality of star sapphire gemstones. The quality of star sapphire largely depends upon its origin, color, the strength of star effect, clarity, andcut. Most of the star sapphires either lack clarity and good color saturation or strength of star effect. Therefore, a genuine star sapphire that ranks profoundly in the top end of these three quality checks, is considered as the best quality Star Sapphire gemstone.
– Star Sapphire gems are found dominantly in Sri Lanka (Ceylon), Myanmar (Burma) and Thailand. Some gem-quality star sapphires have also been discovered in India, Brazil, Cambodia, Nigeria, Madagascar, United States (Montana), Zimbabwe and Tanzania etc. Amongst all origins, Burma star sapphire and Sri Lankan star sapphire (Ceylon star sapphire) are regarded the finest quality gems because they lack distracting inclusions and exhibit a well-defined star effect. Black star sapphire Thailand is popular for its unique golden rayed star effect. (most star sapphire exhibits a white or silvery star).
– Star sapphire color is one of the major quality determinant. Its color ranges from blue to various tones of pink, black, orange, purple, gray etc. The intensity and color distribution also affect the quality of a star sapphire gem. The most desirable color is the vivid, intense blue. Amongst the natural blue star sapphire, the cornflower blue star sapphire and royal blue star sapphire are considered highly sought-after color varieties. In contrast, a light blue star sapphire or gems in other paler hues are comparatively less valuable.
Strength of the Star effect – Ideally, the star-like effect in the star sapphire stones should be bright, intense and perfectly centred with nearly equal ray length. The star sapphire natural stone with faintly visible, broken rays are of relatively lower quality.
– Clarity in star sapphire is a tricky aspect. All real star sapphires are expected to have some degree of inclusions. They are semi-translucent to opaque due to the presence of perfectly aligned microscopic needle-like rutile inclusions that are responsible for the star phenomena and velvety feel. However, some clarity-distracting factors like mineral inclusions, milkiness and visible color zoning can negatively affect the gem’s quality and price.
– A proper cutting and polishing of the Star sapphire loose stone is essential to obtain a centrally located, clearly visible star effect. The rough Star sapphire is mostly cut and polished in cabochons (non-faceted, polished gems in round or oval shape) to obtain the best star on the smooth surface. Star sapphire cabochon in perfect round or oval shapes are quite valuable. The star sapphire loose stones commonly have slight uneven tops or bottoms. This is often done to retain maximum weight and obtain a properly oriented star.
Buy Star Sapphire Online from GemPundit!!!
We provide the best quality loose Star Sapphires for sale at the most reasonable prices.
While buying Star Sapphire online or from local store, it is very important to understand what increases the Star sapphire price in the market. Firstly, the most important factor of star sapphire is the star effect. The color and clarity also bear a strong impact on the Star sapphire stone price. The other price determining factors include origin, cut, size and treatment (if present). Generally, the Star sapphire prices remain the highest for the natural star blue sapphire with a nice deep blue color, transparent body and vibrant star effect. Such quality stones are exceedingly rare and can fetch millions of dollars.
Note: In India, Star Sapphire price per carat starts from Rupees 10,000 Per carat (approx 250 dollars) but can even cross Rupees lakh Per carat for excellent quality stones.
Buyer Beware: Gemstone Weights in India are often expressed in Ratti. This system can be used to dupe customers who are not knowledgeable on how the conversion works. Read our guide to Understanding Gemstone Weights: Carats vs Ratti, and Don’t Get Fooled by Gemstone Prices in Ratti, instead of Carats!
– Due its brilliant color and mesmerising star effect, the Burmese Star sapphire and Ceylon Blue star sapphire stone value remain highest in the gemstone market. Thai star sapphire is the next most valuable variety. Burma mines also resource some fine quality red Corundum that display star effect. Since red Corundum is not classified as Sapphire rather a Ruby, therefore such exclusive red star bearing sapphire variety is known as ‘Star Ruby’. At GemPundit, we have a rich inventory of Star ruby available for sale at the most budget friendly prices.
Strength of Star effect
– A bright and well-defined star is highly sought-after but is hard to find. So, a natural star sapphire value will increase for stones with a perfect star. Some 12-ray star sapphire (normally it has 6 rays) or double star sapphire (two stars on the same stone) also exist but they are highly rare and precious.
– Amongst all the Star sapphire colors, Blue star sapphire value remains the highest due to its rarity and high-end beauty. Pink sapphire stone price and black star sapphire cost also reflect their rarity and popularity in the trade. Apart from the hue, the Star sapphire’s value also depends on the tone and saturation of the color. Generally, deeper, more saturated and uniform is the color, more will be the Star sapphire gemstone value.
– Almost every Star sapphire naturally possesses silk or microscopic needle-like inclusions (that produces the stunning star effect) and are nearly opaque. These tiny inclusions lend a highly desirable vitreous silky shine. The price of star sapphire majorly drops due to presence of excessive color zoning and high volume of the value-decreasing mineral inclusions. The rare star sapphires with fine translucent or semi-transparent body and sharp star effect are usually expensive.
– A raw star sapphire stone is mostly cut and polished in cabochon. Even the expert gem cutters handle the uncut star sapphire very carefully to obtain a perfect, centrally located star effect and retain maximum weight. Poor polishing and uneven domes can reduce the beauty and star sapphire stone value in the market. The well-polished blue star sapphire cabochon always demands a cost for quality.
– Due to the rarity factor, large size gemstone draws a good value and star sapphires are not different. Fine quality, unheated and untreated big size star sapphires can fetch a very huge premium in the gemstone market. Small size specimens are relatively more affordable.
– Buyers Beware! When shopping for star sapphires, be very cautious as some cheap synthetic star sapphires (lab created star sapphires) are also available in the market. These artificially created star sapphires may have a perfect star, impeccable clarity and excellent color which is good enough to deceive an untrained eye. A natural, unheated star sapphire often contains inclusions and rarely forms an extremely sharp star. It is not worthy to pay a huge amount for a cheap synthetic stone.
Certified loose Star Sapphire for sale at GemPundit
We provide Star sapphire stone for sale in India. UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Singapore, UAE (nearly 100+ countries).
Star sapphire is a unique gem-variety of the Corundum mineral that exhibits a star-like visual phenomena known as asterism or star effect. This gemstone exists in a variety of colors ranging from blue, black, purple, yellow to white, grey, and green. It contains well-aligned, microscopic needle-like rutile inclusions that reflect light and form a six-rayed star like pattern when light strikes the upper surface. Due to the presence of inclusions, star sapphires generally possess a silky shine but are less transparent. In trade, a richly colored blue star sapphire with good transparency and sharp star effect is considered extremely valuable, highly desirable and quite rare.
Being a member of the Corundum mineral family, Star sapphire hardness is good enough to resist minor scratches. Thus, it is regarded as a durable jewelry gemstone. Star sapphires have strong healing properties that helps to cure numerous physical and mental ailments.
At GemPundit, one can buy high quality star sapphire loose stones online at the most reasonable prices. We provide FREE gem certificate issued by a trusted, government recognised gem testing laboratory to ensure the quality and authentic of the gemstone
The blue colored star sapphires are often termed as Blue star sapphire stones. Like the natural blue sapphire, the blue star sapphire rough contains microscopic needle-like inclusions called silk. The raw stone is cut and to form round or oval cabochons (non-faceted, polished stones) to obtain a mesmerizingly beautiful star effect on its surface.
– Sri Lankan Blue star sapphire (Ceylon) is the regarded as the finest origin variety because of its exceptional blue color, good clarity and distinctly visible star effect. However, some high quality blue sapphire stones are also found in Burma (Myanmar). Thailand also resourced gem-quality, natural Blue star sapphires but in a very limited quality.
– Blue star sapphire meaning ‘Sitara Neelam’ in Hindi is an enchanting blue colored gemstone that is majorly worn for healing purposes. Being a robust gemstone, it can be chosen for jewelry and can be worn in ring, pendant or bracelet. In gem healing therapies, a blue star sapphire is recognised as an effective healing gemstone. It is believed that wearing a star blue sapphire benefits the wearer in attaining a disciplined approach and getting a speedy recovery from the existing physical and mental ailments.
At GemPundit, we provide premium quality Blue star sapphires for sale.
Our Gem Experts will help you to buy Star Blue Sapphire at the most budget-friendly prices.
To check the authenticity of any gemstone, it is always reliable to get the stone certified by a trusted gem testing laboratory such as GIA, GRS, IGI etc. Blue star sapphire is a highly valuable gemstone therefore, it is worthy to check the quality before paying a price. One can also take a primarily gem consultation from a knowledge Gem Expert for choosing the right gemstone.
These days, the market is full of lab created or artificial star sapphire. Therefore, it is always advised to choose the dealer carefully. One should always buy Blue star sapphire from a trusted gem retailer or supplier who value their customers and provide genuine gem certificates to ensure the quality of gemstone. At GemPundit, we have a team of highly qualified gem experts who will help you in finding an original, lab certified Blue star sapphire at the best prices. Click here, to get a FREE Gem Consultation . One can also browse our rich inventory of Blue star sapphire available for sale online.
The price of a star sapphire gemstone depends on a plethora of factors. In the gem market, a Star sapphire worth is often determined by checking the strength and sharpness of the star, intensity and attractiveness of the body color, origin, overall clarity, shape and presence of treatment (if present). Generally, a natural blue star sapphire prices remain the highest due to its high rarity and demand. In India, the blue star sapphire price per carat starts from Rs 8,000 per carat ($120 approx.) and can reach up to Rs 50,000 per carat ($770 approx.) for premium quality specimens. Black star sapphire prices have also increased in the past few years due to its increasing popularity and uniqueness (golden star).
To get an in-depth knowledge, please read our notes on Star Sapphire Value .
Lindy star sapphire stone is a man-made gemstone that displays asterism. It exists in a variety of colors and is a cheap alternative of natural star sapphire for jewelry. The name ‘Lindy or Linde’ comes from the Linde division of Union Carbide that manufactured this gemstone in bulk between the 1950s to 1970s for the first time. Despite its perfectly even color, exceptional clarity and sharp eye effect, a Lindy star sapphire price value remain substantially low. In the market, Lindy blue star sapphires are more popular for jewelry making purposes. Therefore, a Blue Linde star sapphire price may be slightly higher than other color varieties.
On the other hand, Diffusion star sapphire is the natural star sapphire that undergoes the diffusion treatment which is done to enhance the asterism or star-effect in the sapphire gemstone. This treatment doesn’t affect the star sapphire physical properties. But, unlike natural star sapphire gemstone, a diffused star sapphire cannot be polished or recut for the second time because the treatment persists only on the surface of the stone.