Alexandrite Cats eye is an exclusive gemstone from the Chrysoberyl family that displays the unique optical characteristics of the two most popular Chrysoberyl gems – ‘Cats eye effect of Chrysoberyl Cats eye’ & ‘Colour-changing ability of Alexandrite'. This gemstone is rarely found in nature and is highly coveted by collectors and jewellery designers.
Alexandrite Cat’s eye
Who Should Wear Alexandrite Cat’s eye Stone?
Alexandrite cat’s eye is a combination of the two fascinating gemstones – ‘Alexandrite’ and ‘Cat’s eye’. It appears green in white light and red in the yellow light. Simultaneously, it shows a sharply defined beam of light running parallelly across the surface when the gemstone is moved back and forth under a direct light source. Chrysoberyl with such qualities are rarely found in nature and is, therefore, a prized possession. It is regarded as a perfect gemstone for those who admire uniqueness and luxury.
Alexandrite Cats eye is a wonderful jewellery gemstone that shows great resistance to daily wear and tear (Alexandrite cat’s eye hardness ranges around 8.5 out of 10 on the Mohs scale.). Therefore, an Alexandrite Cat’s ring or pendant can be a part of your daily wear jewellery as it needs less prone to damage and retains its beauty for long time.
Recognised for its beauty, rarity and value, Alexandrite Cat’s eye chrysoberyl is an excellent gemstone for collection purposes. With its distinctively predominant characteristics, this gemstone helps to grow the collection both in terms of quality as well as value.
GemPundit brings you a rich inventory of high quality, loose, genuine Alexandrite Cat’s eye online for sale.
It is always important to buy a good quality Alexandrite Cat’s Eye to ensure the best value for money. The quality criteria for Alexandrite cat’s eye gemstone is slightly different from the other colored gemstones because of its unique optical properties. Apart from the 4C’s (Color of the body, Clarity, Cut and Carat weight) of quality, other factors such as its origin, strength of cat’s eye effect and intensity of color-change also influence the Cat’s eye Alexandrite market worth. Consider these factors while selecting the best quality Alexandrite Cat’s Eye.
– Most of the gem-quality alexandrite cat’s eyes come from the Chrysoberyl mines of countries like Sri Lanka (Ceylon), Madagascar, Burma, India, Russia and Brazil. Due to the strong color-change and clearly visible cat’s eye effect, Sri Lankan or Ceylonese alexandrite cat’s eye is considered as the finest variety.
Quality of Color-change
– Top quality natural Alexandrite Cat’s eye gemstones display 100% color-change and the color is quite close to pure green and red. Due to extremely rarity, such quality pieces are quite precious and are highly sought by the serious gem collectors. Alexandrite cats eye with less prominently visible color change often lands in the slightly lower category. Apart from the extend of color-change, the intensity of color also makes a difference. The value usually drops when the color is far from pure red and green.
Strength of Cat’s eye effect
– A natural Alexandrite cat’s eye stone with a perfect cat’s eye effect (also called chatoyancy) is considered highly desirable. The perfection (strength) depends upon the length of light band, its color and intensity. A stone displaying a bright, consistent, silvery or bluish white light band is considered ideal for purchase. Gemstone alexandrite cat’s eye price reduces if the cat’s eye band appears faint, broken or not clearly visible.
– Cat’s eye Alexandrite is more of an olive to golden green colour. Its body color itself gives indications that this gem is likely to have cat’s eye effect hidden within it. Dark green natural Cat’s eye alexandrite showing a strong beam of light can be a good choice for jewelry.
– The natural Alexandrite Cat’s eye is a semi-transparent to semi translucent gemstone that usually bears hollow tubes and fine needle-like inclusions. It may also contain some traces of mica, apatite, fluorite crystals, liquid drops and fingerprint inclusions etc. Therefore, finding an eye-clean piece is a very rare scenario. Clarity of this stone is often judged by its surface texture and polish. Gems with smooth and blemish-free surface are considered highly desirable.
– Most of the Alexandrite cat’s eye stone are shaped as round or oval cabochons (polished stones with concave dome). This practice is carried out to obtain the desirable cat’s eye effect on the stone’s dome surface which is not possible in the faceted stone. For jewelry purposes, it is often advised to avoid Alexandrite Cat’s eye with too flat or too high domes because they are prone to get damaged when set in jewelry.
Are you looking for genuine Alexandrite Cat’s eye - Buy Online from GemPundit!
Cat’s eye Alexandrite value depends largely on its Body Color, Intensity of Color change effect, Strength of Light Band (Cat’s eye effect), Clarity, Shape and Carat weight. Due to less availability, the best-quality Cat’s eye Alexandrite value remains substantially high and gets attention majorly from the collectors and jewelry designers. Even some lower quality stones manage to draw a good amount because of its rarity factor.
Alexandrite Cat’s eye gemstone price in India starts from Rs 12,000 per carat ($185 approx.) and reaches upto Rs 2 lakh per carat ($3075 approx.) and even above. The prices may exceed in other countries like Dubai, UK, UAE and U.S.A etc.
Buyer Beware: Gemstone Weights in India are often expressed in Ratti. This system can be used to dupe customers who are not knowledgeable on how the conversion works. Read our guide to Understanding Gemstone Weights: Carats vs Ratti, and Don’t Get Fooled by Gemstone Prices in Ratti, instead of Carats!
– Sri Lankan Alexandrite cat’s eye is well-recognised for its superior quality. Therefore, the price of alexandrite cat’s eye gemstone from Sri Lanka is expected to be higher than other origins. Alexandrite cat’s eye stone price for gems from India, Myanmar (Burma), Russia and Brazil remain comparatively less.
Strength of Cat’s eye Effect
– Alexandrite Cat’s eye stones displaying well-formed cat’s eye effect are hard to find, hence, draw a high premium for quality and rarity. A stone with too faint or poorly visible cats eye effect appears less attractive and consequently loses its value.
Intensity of Color change
– Generally, the more distinct the color change, the higher is the gem’s value. A gemstone showing 100% color-change is extremely rare and highly sought-after by the gem collectors. Such gems are considered highly valued by the gem enthusiast.
– The colour of the body doesn’t create a major difference in price, unlike other colored gemstone. However, the presence of a flawless, consistent and deep shades of olive or yellow green color added to the beauty and overall value of the Alexandrite cat’s eye gemstone.
– The presence of inclusions comes in the basic nature of Alexandrite Cat’s eye gemstone. Even top-grade stones are expected to have some inclusions. Therefore, the price of Alexandrite Cats eye gemstone increases gradually for stones with good clarity.
– Like other factors, the shape also bears an influence on the natural chrysoberyl Alexandrite Cat’s eye price. The gem’s cutting proportion and finish enhance the overall appearance and the optical phenomena. Because of its rarity, Alexandrite cat’s eye rough is often cut for maximum weight retention. Highly symmetrical pieces are expected to be slightly expensive as they involve wastage of rough stone.
– Natural Alexandrite Cat’s eye price in India increases exponentially with size, especially for superior quality stones. However, if the quality is superior even a 1 carat Alexandrite Cat’s eye price can exceed the cost of a lower quality stone of relatively bigger size.
Alexandrite cat’s eye is a unique variety of the chrysoberyl mineral family that displays color change (also called alexandrite effect) as well as cat’s eye effect, depending upon the light. This extremely rare gemstone of the fairly recent origin is less popular due to its limited availability. One can find a real and natural Alexandrite cats eye loose gemstone only in trusted gem stores in India. Buyers also need to beware of the dealers selling synthetic alexandrite cats eye. It is always advised to purchase a lab certified Alexandrite cats eye gemstone from trusted gem stores, retailers and suppliers of the industry.
At GemPundit, we have a rich inventory of 100% natural, loose Alexandrite cats eye online for sale at the best prices. We value trust of our customers above anything else and therefore, provide a free lab certificate to ensure authenticity of the gemstone.