Zircon Stone Properties
Published on Dec 14, 2013
The following blog informs you about various properties of zircon stone and gives some basic detail about this stone.
|Mohs’ Scale Hardness||6.5-7.5|
|Colors||Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow, White, Brown, Pink, Purple and Grey.|
|Places where found||Cambodia, Burma, Sri Lanka, Australia, Tanzania, Pakistan and Afghanistan.|
Properties of Zircon
- Zircons are one of the oldest gemstones found in the world. It is zirconium silicate chemically and its chemical formula is ZrSiO4. Its luster and brilliance is so good that it was used as a substitute of diamond for years.
- • It is a very beautiful and attractive gemstone. Its color varies between colorless, green, brown, yellow to purple. People often get confused with cubic zirconia because of similarity of name. ( See:Zircon Gemstone astrological benefits
- Zircon Gemstone Gemstone has an extremely high refractive index and fire. Its refractive index is hig her than even ruby, sapphire, tanzanite and spinel. Since it is available in so many colors, it makes very attractive jewelry.
- Even though the hardness of this stone is between 6.5 and 7.5, it is delicate and possesses dislocations inside it.
- Its name means ‘Gold Stone’ in Arabic. Since zircons are not very costly and are available easily, they are very commonly used as imitation of most precious stones.
- This gemstone has a tetragonal structure which leads to the white brilliance that this stone is famous for.
- This mineral is used in ceramic industry. The color diversity of zircon is caused by the traces of impurities which are radioactive. These radioactive impurities are heated so that they are stabilized and they can be used as gemstone.
- The radioactive impurities are very less in quantity and are not hazardous to health in any way. The luster, hardness and shine make it best for use as a gemstone. But if zircon crystal is banged too hard, it can break and crack.
- The cutting of zircon stone also plays a very important role in defining its brilliance. Those zircons which are not cut properly at specific angles many appear blurry.
- Zircons have many healing properties too and they prove to be very beneficial for those who wear it properly as per astrologer’s recommendation.
- It is said that we should wear only those stones which suit us, because only then can we experience the healing effects of that particular stone.
- You can buy a zircon from many online stores. They are available in many different shapes and you can even get them made as rings, pendants and other pieces of jewelry. All the gemstones are available at very reasonable prices and they can be delivered to your place.
Please visit: http://www.gempundit.com/gemstones/zircon