Natural Emerald vs Synthetic Emerald
Published on Dec 11, 2013
What is Emerald?
Emerald is one of the precious gemstones and has a lot of value in the world of gemstones. It is one of the most sought after gems. It has a unique color and allure. Its brilliance has captured the hearts of many people for thousands of years. Gold jewelry is used for wearing an emerald because gold enhances the shine of this gemstone.
Its astrological benefits range from studies, health, business, success to marriage. It is said that an emerald stone is a beneficial stone for everyone. In ancient times, Emerald was found only in Egypt. But today they are mined in many countries. The attributes which are used to determine the quality of emerald are its color, clarity, weight and cut. When checking the color, there are three things which are important to check-hue, tone and saturation.
How to check?
You can always consult an expert who can check the authentication of your gemstone. But if you want to check the gemstone by yourself, then there are a few things that should be checked. There are a few things which can help you in determining whether an emerald is natural or synthetic. These things are: Color, Inclusion, Transparency and Emitted Light.
Comparison between Natural and Synthetic Emerald
- Good quality emeralds are in deep green color and are effervescent. Gemstones of lighter hue are not natural mostly. Most emeralds have a blue-green tint or a yellow-green tint. The most valuable ones have little to no tint. Natural emeralds range from very little to very dark green color. The most valuable ones are mostly dark in color tone and have rich brilliance.
- The real emeralds are very strong stones. So if you find a brittle emerald, don’t buy it. If there are any cracks in the emerald, then surely it is not real.
- Look at your emerald stone through a magnifying glass. A high quality emerald possesses a good amount of transparency. This transparency can never be seen in a synthetic emerald.
- Natural emeralds emit a rich green glow when light passes through it. It is because of the natural impurities that get developed in it. If your emerald is a synthetic one, then it will not emit this green glow.
- If you take care of these things then surely you’ll get a good emerald. To be sure that your emerald is natural, you should check your gemstone properly or get it checked from a person who has good knowledge of gems.