Blue Sapphire Properties
Publised on Oct 17,2013
Gemstone: Blue Sapphire
Other Names: Neelam (in Hindi)
Ruling Planet: Saturn
Moh’s Scale: 9.0
Specific Gravity: 3.95 to 4.03
Metal to Wear in: Silver or Platinum
Origin: Sri Lanka , Myanmar, Thailand and Madagascar
Detailed Properties of Blue Sapphire Gemstone:
Blue Sapphire is one of the renowned and precious gemstones adored by mankind since ages. The word Sapphire means blue in Latin which itself describes the beautiful blue color of the gemstone.
What are the physical properties of Neelam Stone?
• The extremely popular stone is the second hardest gemstone after diamond. It has a rating of 9.0 on Mohs scale of hardness and specific gravity of the ranges between 3.95 to 4.03.
• Blue Sapphire is well known for its spellbound colors, cut, transparency and clarity.
• The durable quality of this gemstone makes it suitable to be extensively used in jewelry of different varieties such as rings, necklaces, pendants, bracelets and many more.
• Amethyst Stone, Blue Spinel and Blue Topaz are the substitutes of the gemstone which look alike but are less effective than Blue Sapphire. [Click To Know Blue Sapphire Astrological Benefits ]
Where are the Blue Sapphire Stones found?
Blue Sapphire Gemstone belongs to the family of mineral Corundum. Sapphires are primarily formed from aluminum and have trace elements such as iron, titanium, chromium and lithium. Unlike other gemstones, it is mined from silica poor environments. The deposits can be found in almost all parts of the world including areas in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Brazil and Madagascar. Blue Sapphire mined from Sri Lanka is famous for its stunning look and considered the best among others for astrological purpose.
What are the different treatments for Neelam Stone?
Numerous methods are used for treating the gemstones to enhance their physical qualities and acquire perfection.
• The natural gemstone is heat treated in furnaces in temperatures ranging from 500°C to 1800 °C for several hours.
• Another practice is heating the Blue Sapphire for around seven days or more in an oven, deficient in nitrogen.
• It can also be irradiated or diffused with beryllium for retaining and improving the amazing beauty of the gemstone.
Please visit here : http://www.gempundit.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire